Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Collage Crystal Ornament

Over the years I've made gifts for my boys teachers, especially for Christmas. These cut Crystal Chandelier pieces are perfect for collage! They are flat on the back and come with a beading pin attached to a smaller round cut crystal as shown below. I got the idea years ago from a friend who buys old Chandeliers and makes jewelry out of the crystal pieces. They are so pretty in the light and can be used as ornaments or just hanging in the window to add to the decor! They are so easy to make and very inexpensive. These larger crystals (shown above) were about $1.99 a piece and the smaller ones were about a dollar. 
I started collecting vintage looking Christmas cards and paper and then added some Vintage transparencies to my collection. I would sit and make several at a time and then cover the back with decorative paper and sign my name. After layering or stamping the main image together, I traced around the crystal on double sided sticky sheets and cut out to attach the images to the crystal. I usually would use beading pins and insert them throught the hole at the top and attach colored crystal beads and beading caps over the front hole as shown on the smaller ornament below with a hook for hanging. Stamped backgrounds work excellent and 2 crystals could be attached back to back to create a 3-d look!

2 comments:

Amanda Corbet said...

This is beautiful! Thanks for the link to the crystals. I will have to try this sometime.

Unknown said...

These are totally AWESOME!!! I love this idea and will have to try it out myself!!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...